Thursday, December 08, 2005

"Ollie" Sues Game Companies

From Next-Gen:

Alan "Ollie" Gelfand, creator of the now standard skateboard trick of the same name, is suing Sega and Activision for using his nickname without permission. The 42-year-old skateboarder is seeking $20 million in damages, part of which he expects from Sega, for using his moniker for their skateboarding arcade game, "Ollie King".

His complaint against Activision is in regards to the game, Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure, in which his nickname is apparently mentioned.

Other companies he's seeking damages against include Disney and retailer Ron Jon Surf Shop.

"I'm just a skateboarder. I'm not a huge, mega corporation... yet," said Gelfand.











Yet? No offence Allan, but no one born after 1980 even knows who you are. Unlike Tony Hawk who saw the light early on, you have done nothing to keep yourself "out there."

1 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Stoopidgirl said...

wow, I learned something new today...I never really thought about where the term Ollie came from...now I know. I can't really say I disagree with him suing because if someone was making money off my name I'd probably be a little miffed and want a peice of the pie too...it's the American way. But yes he probably should have done something about it and keeping himself out there back in the 80's, not wait forever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home